An Introduction to Meditation
Achieving alignment with a higher state of consciousness
Through the method of mental union with the soul,
meditation is a supreme act of service to humanity
Releasing love and joy
The basic objective of meditation is to enable you to become outwardly what you are in inner reality.
The method of mental union with the soul results in the following:-
- It leads to the release of the soul energy of love, and its accompanying attribute of joy.
- The released soul love can transform one’s entire outlook and redeem all relationships - at home, in friendships and at work.
- When practiced as recommended, this meditation allows for the safe and natural unfoldment of the powers of the soul (without the dangers of prematurely forced psychic development).
The following is a very brief, and therefore incomplete introduction to meditation for beginners. It is intended only to provide some introductory concepts and a little encouragement.
For further instructions, please refer to:-
- Meditation Today - an e-pamphlet from the Lucis Trust
- the extensive Introductory Guide to meditation from the Lucis Trust web site
- Alice A Bailey's book From Intellect to Intuition
- or please join our monthly Full Moon meditation meetings in Sydney, Australia.
When to meditate
It is best to meditate:-
- first thing in the morning if possible, before the mind has become actively engaged in worldly activities; however if it is not possible in the morning, then another time should be made
- for a duration of between 5 to 15 minutes each day
- with regularity for a short period daily - this achieves much better results than occasional long meditations.
Where to meditate
Where you can sit quietly and comfortably without disruptive intrusions, as far as that is possible for you.
How to develop the necessary power of concentration
- With perserverance and patience
- With gentleness and without strain
- With a focus on effort rather than on looking for results. Results will be inevitable in time, it is the effort that is the critical ingredient for success.
- With an understanding that the disciplining of the mind in one's daily affairs also hones the ability to concentrate.
The following stages of a beginner's meditation are an extract from From Intellect to Intuition pp.228-229:-
- The attainment of physical comfort and control.
- The breathing is noted as rhythmic and regular.
- Visualisation of the threefold lower self (physical, emotional and mental) as:-
- In contact with the soul.
- As a channel for soul energy, through the medium of the mind, direct to the brain. From thence the physical mechanism can be controlled.
"There is a peace that passeth understanding: it abides in the hearts of those who live in the Eternal. There is a power that maketh all things new; it lives and moves in those who know the Self as one."
Prayers and Mantrams
For those who find resonance with the material on this web site, and with the Alice A Bailey books, or for anyone requiring further teaching and training in the science of the soul, The Arcane School provides a wonderful service by correspondence.